Monday, November 18, 2013

Why I Love Birthdays!


“It’s a Beautiful Day”    9” x 12”    Pastel    $100    © Sharon Lewis
Click Here to Purchase


           Today is my birthday and therefore I’m in a pretty good mood. I’m looking forward to a special dinner tonight, talking to my kids and other family, and CAKE!!!! I’m crazy about cake!

            I also have to explain that I don’t just love my birthday; I also like my kids’ birthdays, my brothers’ and sisters’, and my friends’ birthdays. I enjoy any change from the mundane and the ordinary. I enjoy being able to celebrate others and make them feel special and loved. Of course, if we were all perfect or at least better versions of ourselves, we wouldn’t do this only on special occasions. However the reality is that it’s so easy to get distracted by the routine stressors and demands in our life.

            Birthdays for me are also a time to remember what challenges I’ve met and what I’ve accomplished during the year. Even more important to me is to reflect on what I’m grateful for. I know I should be saving this for Thanksgiving but I’ve never known anyone to suffer from feeling too much gratitude.

            And so, on this day, I feel very, very lucky for all of my friends and family…. and because it just so happens to be a gorgeous sunny, fall day. I couldn’t ask for anything more! Except for maybe cake!

            Today’s painting is based on a photo by Stan Sperlak, gifted painter and photographer (used with permission). It’s another view of his Crow Creek Farm near Cape May, New Jersey. You can tell it’s going to be a beautiful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment