Friday, November 8, 2013

A beautiful day….

“Quiet Morning”    9” x 12”   Pastel    $100   © Sharon Lewis
Click Here to Purchase 

            It’s the end of a week of mostly gorgeous weather in my favorite season of fall. Today’s painting is based on a photo taken by Stan Sperlak (used with his permission) of the marsh near his home on the southern coast of New Jersey. Stan is a gifted photographer as well as an exceptional artist.
            I painted this in September as preparation for a plein air workshop I took with Stan in the Cape May area of New Jersey. As much as I think marshes are interesting as well as beautiful ecosystems, I always find them challenging to paint. There typically comes a point where you have to decide how much detail to put in. You want to put in enough that the viewer can understand what he/she is looking at but not so much that it distracts from the overall feel of the piece. I tried for a happy medium in this painting. I was also trying to get the feel of a peaceful morning before all the noise, demands, and busyness of the day starts.
            Wishing you a peaceful, relaxing weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment