Friday, November 22, 2013

Against the Dying of the Light

“Against the Dying of the Light”   9” x 12”   Pastel    $100    © Sharon Lewis
Click Here to Purchase 

           On this, the fiftieth anniversary of President John Kennedy’s death, I thought of Dylan Thomas’ famous poem, “Do Not Go Gently Into That Good Night”.  I’ve always loved that poem and it seems to fit the day’s memorializing of JFK as well as providing me with a title for today’s painting.
            I was a child when JFK died and I remember that the only thing that really registered in my consciousness was that my birthday party, which I had so looked forward to, was canceled. I was so unaware of the significance of JFK’s assassination that I thought it had nothing to do with me. My lack of political awareness, even at this young age, seems incredible to me now since my Dad had worked on Kennedy’s campaign and we had a signed and framed photo of my Dad and JFK shaking hands.  Thanks to my Dad’s very patient schooling of me I gradually became more savvy when it came to both local and national politics. Sadly, I also grew to realize that on this day, fifty years ago, there was a dying of a light.  

No comments:

Post a Comment