Monday, December 16, 2013

Walking in the Footsteps of Vincent Van Gogh

“Arles Tree”    9” x 12”    Pastel     $100   © Sharon Lewis
Click Here to Purchase 

           Today’s painting is of a location in Arles, France where Van Gogh is known to have painted. This came about as a result of a really fun painting idea that my friend Karen Margulis had. One evening we had what she called a “virtual paintout” using Google Maps and zoomed in on interesting views in Arles and painted from these views.  We also had fun painting in the style of Van Gogh, which I think you can see in this painting. He often used interesting directional strokes which gave even ordinary scenes a kind of frenetic excitement. I have loved Van Gogh’s paintings for years and must have 5 or 6 books with reproductions of his work.

2 comments:

  1. I think Ms. Margulis has participated in my project, the Virtual Paintout, that I have run for almost 5 years now. You are more than welcome to join us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill for your generous invitation. And thanks for the info posted on your blog about the new Google Maps. I was playing around with it yesterday and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work with street view like it used to.

      Delete