Thursday, August 25, 2016

Stalwart Sentinel


“Stalwart Sentinel”      Pastel        12” x 16”       $200        © Sharon Lewis
Click Here to Purchase

            For some reason I’ve always been fascinated by lighthouses. It could be because they combine my love of being close to the ocean as well as my love of history – for they always have interesting histories associated with lighthouses. I think that they’re also special because in earlier years, they were staffed by individuals watching the sea, ready to respond whenever needed. Nowadays, most are fully automated and don’t have resident lighthouse keepers.
 On the west coast of Oregon, we ran across a cool lighthouse in a beautiful area called Yaquina Head. I found out that the Yaquina Head Lighthouse is Oregon’s tallest lighthouse and it’s been an active light since August 1873.
Happy Almost Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment