Friday, March 13, 2015

Salt Marsh at Sunset


“Salt Marsh at Sunset”       Pastel       5” x 7”      $50        © Sharon Lewis
Sold

            While staying on the Isle of Palms, near Charleston, S.C. this past weekend I had the urge to paint the salt marshes that we drive by each time. We often get to the marshes just in time to see the sun setting the marshes aglow with light. This time of year they are still mostly brown but I painted them more the way they appear in the spring and summer. That’s one of the cool things about being an artist; I can change the season to one I prefer.
            I was amazed to find out how varied the species are that live in these salt marshes. There are fish, diamond back terrapins, marsh snails, both blue and fiddler crabs,  mussels, shrimp, as well as oysters. Then there are the birds such as the red-winged blackbird, herons, and egrets. It’s amazing to think how many different creatures are hidden in these waters!

No comments:

Post a Comment