Thursday, April 24, 2014

April: The Cruel, Crazy, but Beautiful Month

“Spring Beauty”     6” x 6”     Pastel   $40.00    © Sharon Lewis
SOLD 

            T.S. Elliot had it right when he said that April is the cruelest month. If you work as a professor and the university’s academic year ends in early May, April is the month when both faculty and students are going crazy with work and little sleep. It’s a time of year when your life as you used to know it seems a distant memory. It’s also a time when I make sure that I pay attention to the small but beautiful things in life. 
            As I drive to my office early in the morning I notice the stunning sunrise and how the light hits the beautiful blooming trees just perfectly.  Or as I leave my office 12 hours later, I might notice the gorgeous colors in the sky as the light slowly fades. As I’m grading mountains of papers, I take breaks to listen to the happy chirping and singing of birds outside my window. Or because I’m so fortunate to have such wonderful students, I read carefully, the beautifully written and very moving note of gratitude I received from a student of mine that will be recognized tonight for outstanding leadership. Yes, it might be a cruel and crazy month but it’s also beautiful if only I pay attention.

            Today’s painting is from photos I took early one spring morning in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment